Re: HTTPS GET ERROR

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:01:46 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Frank Reid wrote:

> After scanning the archives, I find I am having an identical problem to what
> Andreas Meister described in Aug/Sep on the list. Unfortunately, I can't
> find where the cause was identified or resolved.

I can't either. I don't think I ever received an explanation or a solution.

> Specifically, I am trying to retrieve data from an IIS-based server that
> requires a client certificate to access data in specific folders. The
> PUT ("--upload-file") actions work great using the same client
> certificate, so I know it's not a root trust issue.

So it works for PUT but not with GET with otherwise similar requirements?

> However, any attempt to GET returns no data, although the header file
> returned with --verbose output indicates the action succeeded ('200'
> result). The IIS server also thinks it succeeded, and it logs a '200'
> result.

So, the GET returns only a set of headers and no body?

> Is it possible that IIS is using a cookie or doing something strange that
> I need to duplicate in my curl script?

It is possible, yes, and the fact that you can PUT indicates that the problem
is in that area rather than a SSL issue or something.

> Does anyone know if Netscape Enterprise Server suffers from the same
> affliction with curl? (If not, I'll swap out IIS for Netscape tomorrow,
> but it's a Windows-2000 box that's running the server, and I'd rather not
> introduce other woes!)

I have no idea. I've personally never run any other web server than Apache.