RE: HTTPS GET ERROR

From: Frank Reid <fcreid_at_ourcorner.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:04:19 -0500

Well, I "cured the symptom", but not sure I solved an underlying problem, if
any. IIS was set to allow certificate-only authentication to a virtual
directory. Both "Anonymous" and "NTLM" authentication methods were disabled
entirely for that directory. After enabling Anonymous, curl can properly
retrieve certificate-protected data from the folder. As before, browsers
are presented with the challenge to present a client cert and, if invalid,
rejected access.

Apparently, curl needs to establish this "anonymous" connection initially,
before presenting its certificate, else it doesn't understand the data back
from IIS. (Again, IIS always thought it was sending it before.) Browsers
don't suffer from this limitation, and are always challenged for their cert
even if Anonymous is disabled in the directory. Not sure why this happens,
but it fixed it for me.

> I have no idea. I've personally never run any other web server than
Apache.

Same here, but this particular requirement lives in a Windows-2000 world!
;)

Frank