HTTPS GET ERROR

From: Frank Reid <fcreid_at_ourcorner.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:44:15 -0500

Daniel,

After scanning the archives, I find I am having an identical problem to what
Andreas Meister described in Aug/Sep on the list. Unfortunately, I can't
find where the cause was identified or resolved. Specifically, I am trying
to retrieve data from an IIS-based server that requires a client certificate
to access data in specific folders. The PUT ("--upload-file") actions work
great using the same client certificate, so I know it's not a root trust
issue. However, any attempt to GET returns no data, although the header
file returned with --verbose output indicates the action succeeded ('200'
result). The IIS server also thinks it succeeded, and it logs a '200'
result.

GET actions for this same data from within Netscape and IE work fine. I've
tried to duplicate the transaction parameters with curl (--user-agent,
etc.), but without success. The only clue (difference) I've found is this.
When the Netscape/IE browser first connect (after flushing the cache), they
receive a '500' response from the IIS server. This occurs during the
challenge for the appropriate client certificate. After presenting the
client certificate, the server lets them proceed to GET the data. (The curl
log item is identical to this transaction, once the '500' error is handled.)

Is it possible that IIS is using a cookie or doing something strange that I
need to duplicate in my curl script? Does anyone know if Netscape
Enterprise Server suffers from the same affliction with curl? (If not, I'll
swap out IIS for Netscape tomorrow, but it's a Windows-2000 box that's
running the server, and I'd rather not introduce other woes!)

Frank