RE: Visual Studio Project Files

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 17:30:02 +0100

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014, Marc Hoersken wrote:

> > Added VC11 files and an updated generate.bat attached for
> > anyone wanting to test the current repo.
>
> thanks for your great efforts and especially the VC11 project files.
> I just used them sucessfully with Visual Studio Premium 2012.

No problem - it is something that I've been meaning to do for a long time
;-)

> I noticed that the generated curl binary is actually named "curlsrc.exe",
> because the project is named "curlsrc". Maybe this is something that
> could be changed?

Thanks - I have just double checked the output and it seems I have it wrong
in both VC10 and VC11 files for all the release builds :(

> Also the build target "x64" generates files in a folder called "Win64".
> Usually the output folder would be named just like the build target,
> e.g. x64.

Mmmm. I thought I did that for a reason but I honestly can't remember for
the life of me why now - I will look at using one of the Visual Studio
macros - $(Platform) or $(PlatformName) instead.

> Again, nice work, Steve! I still think it would be great if something like
> CMake could generate those files, but for now this is a good solution.

We use CMake at work and it is a great tool - however a) I'm not too sure
everyone wants to install CMake on there system so is there a way we could
generate project files, that include both 32-bit and 64-bit builds as well
as the different configurations (OpenSSL, WinSSL, SSPI, LibSSH2 etc...) from
CMake files during the release process? And b) I don't think our existing
CMake files are complete enough and I know Daniel has mentioned possibly
removing them at some point because of this.

Kind Regards

Steve