URL Parsing libraries

From: codemastr <codemstr_at_ptd.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:12:06 -0500

Does anyone out there know of any good URL parsing libraries? I'm currently
aware of two such libraries, w3c's libwww, and senga's uri lib. Libwww is
clearly bloated (it should probably be at least 3-4 smaller libraries) and
so I'd rather not include it with my program for the small portion that I
actually need. Senga looked really promising. It's small, and it does just
what I need. Unfortunately, it relies on libintl (which it doesn't even
bother to search for) and not all systems have that. Not to mention, the
project seems dead, I tried contacting the author regarding adding ftps
support but he never responded.

What I really need is a library that runs under both *nix and Win32 and can:
1.) Split a URL into its components
2.) Convert a URL to canonical form from "user" form (e.g. www.blah.com/some
dir/file.txt -> http://www.blah.com/some%20dir/file.txt, etc.)

Also, just an idea... perhaps it would be a good idea to have a new section
on the libcurl website. Instead of just a competing libs page, what about
something like a "related" libs page. For example things like this would
appear on such a page. It basically would include libraries that someone who
is using libcurl might also want to use. Another example would be the
library Daniel posted earlier "libproxydetect" which even specifically says
it was meant to compliment libcurl. Furthermore, having such a page might
breathe new life into such projects. Maybe someone else will see it and
start maintaining it.

Dominick Meglio