Re: -w %{JSON}

From: Ray Satiro via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 19:08:17 -0400

On 5/24/2020 1:10 PM, Коваленко Анатолий Викторович via curl-users wrote:
> About #5435.
> The last version onhttps://curl.haxx.se/windows/ is 7.70.0 from 2020-04-29. At this version error
> NOT corrected. My script have to check this situation and I wait the NEW version. Is it wrong too?
> Sorry, I simply do not understand.
>
> 2020-05-21 Daniel Stenberg wrote for me, that curl output have not JSON format in common case. That
> is citation from him letter.
> My question: is there any other output beyond «Saved to filename» and «--write-out»?
> Stenberg's answer: You mean*ever* ? Yes. But in for your use case? I don't think so...
>
> That is why I ask that the ALL curl output always be in the SAME format. Not just «-w» variables,
> but ALL output. It is possible to make so?
>
> ====================================================================================================
> At last. Separate the content and format. Make JSON/NotJSON applicable to ALL output, and give the
> unconditional (obligatory?) opportunity to choice «-w» variables: all or some from list.
> JSON – format only, not content. The choice of all or some variables – independently from they
> format.
> ====================================================================================================
>
> Thank you for your attention and sorry my English.
>
>> On 5/23/2020 3:10 PM, Коваленко Анатолий Викторович via curl-users wrote:
>>> The curl output is not identical JSON, read manual carefully.
>>> I ask how in the curl output to find the right JSON. And must I to find one string or many ones.
>>> Must I check ALL POSSIBLE subsequences of text for JSON formatting? Nonsense.
>>> Read question carefully, please. Do not answer to you own question, answer to my one.
>> Please don't top-post it makes the conversation hard to follow. [1]
>> Once #5435 is fixed there should not be other output to stdout for your
>> command. [2]
>> I suggest use the --silent option. [3]
>> [1]:https://curl.haxx.se/mail/etiquette.html#Do_Not_Top_Post
>> [2]:https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/5435
>> [3]:https://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html#-s

The fix will be in the next version of curl which is scheduled to be
released in one month. Use --silent so that informational messages are
not sent to stdout/stderr.

There is no built-in way to output only some write-out variables as
json, but you could do it yourself for some info variables:

"{\"http_code\": %{http_code}}"

As Daniel said earlier if you output %{json} it contains all name/values
and you parse it. That is the way to do it.

Please stop top-posting.