Re: need help with ftp options

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:46:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Steven R. Shourds wrote:

> < 220 Proxy first requires authentication
> > USER userxyz
> < 331 Enter authentication password for userxyz
> > PASS xyzpassword
> < 230 User authenticated to proxy
> * We have successfully logged in
> > PWD
> < 500 must be connected to remote server
> > EPSV
> < 500 command not understood
> > PASV
> < 500 must be connected to remote server
> * Odd return code after PASV
> * Connected the data stream with PASV!
> curl: (13) Odd return code after PASV
> * Closing connection #0

I think this speaks for itself rather nicely.

The proxy doesn't allow any of those commands, and then when curl ends up
trying PASV it needs a sensible reply and when it doesn't get one it bails
out.

We need to add support for this kind (and other kinds) of ftp proxy to make
curl work for you. Until we then, you won't be able to make curl work through
your proxy. Sorry.

If you check this list of FTP proxy types (scroll down a bit on this page:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2003-04/0126.html)

In what format is the second user + password? Are they remoteuser_at_site and
remotepasswd, and the initial user + passsword only for connecting to the
proxy itself?