Re: Initial SSL connection problem with libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:55:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Nicholas Parsons wrote:

[You could consider the libcurl mailing list for topics such as this, as
there's a huge crowd of libcurlers on that list, most of them not reading
this list...]

> I recently did a fresh install of SuSE 8.2 linux on my pc. SuSE ships with
> the curl 7.10.2-35 package.

This is what I love about distributions doing their own patching and version
numbering. Now what on the earth is "7.10.2-35" ?

> This package is currently installed. I am having a problem connecting to a
> site at port 443 (SSL) with my old program when I linked it with this
> latest version of libcurl. My program worked fine when I linked it with
> the old version of libcurl (-lcurl).

Which version was the previous one?

> Below is the error message I get while trying to connect:
> getaddrinfo(3) failed for x.x.com:443
> Closing connection #0

This tells me you're using the ipv6-enabled version of libcurl, and that
getaddrinfo() failed to resolve the host name you specified. Do you run a
ipv6-enabled kernel?

Are you using a sane version of glibc? If Suse is like Redhat in this aspect,
they may have shipped whatever version they found lying around when it was
time for release...

> Does anyone know if this is a bug with the latest version of libcurl? Has
> anyone else encountered this problem?

I have not seen anyone report this problem before, not with any version of
libcurl. I would however recommend you to upgrade to the latest and greatest
to see if this works better then.