Re: Building cURL with new WIN32 LIBTOOL stuff

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:40:20 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> Thx Daniel for adding the changes suggested by the cygwin folks. I'm now
> seeing a problem, and I'm wondering if anyone on this list has seen it.
> If not, I'll pass it by the cygwin list...

I can't really address the problem in itself, I'll just offer an explanation
for something around it:

> It seems to be related to the fact that libtool has decided to dump my
> curl.exe file in src/.libs/curl.exe, instead of putting it in the usual
> place of src/curl.exe.

That's what libtool does when you build with shared libraries. It "hides" the
true binary file in the .libs dirctory and the src/curl file becomes a shell
script that sets up the environment variables correctly so that when you run
src/curl, it'll use the locally built shared libraries and the binary found
in the .libs directory.

> However, since this problem lies in the auto-generated part of the
> Makefile, I have no idea how one would go about fixing it...

I too think it looks like a libtool or automake problem.