Re: curl on slashdot

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:24:28 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 curl_at_thewrittenword.com wrote:

> So, curl.com was created November 19, 1997. Someone might want to check
> the web pages of the Secretary of State office in MA to determine when
> Curl Corporation was incorporated. Also, the bottom of their web page
> says curl is a trademark. Whoopee. More interesting if they have
> registered their trademark (circle R more powerful then TM).

This page indeed indicates that they have:

http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=m1rd41.2.37 (Filing Date May
18, 1998)

My records show I released curl under the name curl for the first time on
March 20, 1998. curl.com's own site history mentions the "MIT Curl project"
in October 1995.

> Oh, check out:
> http://www.curl.com/html/about/background.jsp
>
> I don't suppose you ever *filed* any copyright papers on cURL?

No, I didn't.

I'm far from a lawyer or anything like that, but from what I've grasped from
other sources, by not having taken any action for this long time they have
implicitely accepted the fact that we use the name.

I may of course be wrong. I save myself the right of being wrong at times!
;-)

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/