curl on slashdot

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:34:21 +0200 (MET DST)

Hey

There's an article and ongoing discussion on slashdot
[http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/06/2113227], regarding the
programming language CURL from curl.com.

Lots of people ask how this will affect our project, who was first and will
they sue us or will there be a trademark issue here?

Therefore, I've added a new paragraph to the FAQ that hopefully answers to
some concerns:

  1.7 What about CURL from curl.com?

  During the summer 2001, curl.com has been busy advertising their
  client-side programming language for the web, named CURL.

  We are in no way associated with curl.com or their version of CURL. We have
  never heard anything from them, nor are we scared of any trademark or
  naming lawsuits.

  Our project name curl has been in effective use since 1998. We weren't the
  first computer related project to name itself curl either, so we don't
  claim any first-hand rights to the name.

  We realize that we'll have to live in parallell with this behemoth, there's
  nothing we can do about it.

(This text is soon available in the online version of the FAQ as well.)

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/