Re: curl with SSL

From: Claude Cormier <techsupport_at_devises-or.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:44:05 -0400

Hello Daniel and all,

Follow down my answers to your suggestions:

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Claude Cormier wrote:
>
> > Guys... My first 5 days in the Unix world have not been a vacation but I
> > will get through it.
>
> I think you're catching on pretty quick. Overcoming problems are sometimes
> the best way to learn new things! ;-) (Trying to get a positive angle on all
> these troubles!)

Yep... and what is weird..I like it :)

> Ok, let's shoot!
>
> > setenv CPPFLAGS -I/usr//local/include/openssl
> > setenv LDFLAGS -L/usr/local/lib
> >
> > 5) (I am going with the non-static compile)
> > ./configure
> > --with-ssl=/usr/local
> > --prefix=/u/me
> > --mandir=/u/me/man
>
> You need to pay attention to the configure output. After some 20-30 lines
> there should be two lines that say:
>
> checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... yes
> checking for SSL_connect in -lssl... yes

Got these two OK from the output of ./configure

> If the configure script doesn't find the six required include files *and* the
> two required lib files, it won't build curl with SSL support.

All 8 files are reported as found. When I do a manual check in
/usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include/opensll, all 8 files are there.

> If the configure script found the libs allright, you shouldn't need that
> change. If you'd need such a change, the right place to do the edit would be
> in the src/Makefile as that's the place where those libs are required.

Despite the above confirmation, I did change to:

LIBS = -L/usr/local/lib -lssl -lcrypto
in /src/makefile

> If you want to mock with the Makefiles manually to get this working, you must
> make sure to edit the config.h file to match your preferences. Most notably,
> for SSL to become enabled there are *eight* defines that must be set to 1,
> and they are:

> #define HAVE_OPENSSL_CRYPTO_H 1
> #define HAVE_OPENSSL_ERR_H 1
> #define HAVE_OPENSSL_PEM_H 1
> #define HAVE_OPENSSL_RSA_H 1
> #define HAVE_OPENSSL_SSL_H 1
> #define HAVE_OPENSSL_X509_H 1
> #define HAVE_LIBCRYPTO 1
> #define HAVE_LIBSSL 1

I added all those in /src/config.h

I then do "make install" and try

curl http://..... and it works fine
curl https://.... and
curl: (1) SSL is diabled, https: not supported!

> > or the openssl lib is still not OK ??
>
> I would also like to point to section 1.1.2 of the FAQ (in docs/ or on the
> web site) in case you do have the RSAREF stuff in a separate lib for your
> openssl. In that case configure won't find the ssl lib properly.

1)Following the predeeding step, I change again makefile to have:

LIBS = -L/usr/local/lib -lssl -lcrypto -lRSAglue -lrsaref

I then do "make install" again and try

curl http://..... and it works fine
curl https://.... and ... guess what?
curl: (1) SSL is diabled, https: not supported!

2)also tried: "LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib" ./configure whateve
This doesn't work as it gives a LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib:command not
found from my shell. Anyway if I understand this well, this is the same
as doing setenv before ./configure, which I already tried.

Any more ideas ??