curl / Mailing Lists / curl-meet / Single Mail

Re: Funding curl up attendance

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 15:34:37 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> That's my concern as well. Reimbursing only 50% of out-of-pocket costs would
> help with that since people will have to be motivated enough to put up half
> the costs themselves. And handing out the reimbursement in person on the
> last day of the conference would ensure they actually show up :-)

We can also just make a note about who's actually present and only allow those
reimbursement. Asking to get reimbursed for something you don't actually
attend would be bordering to fraud in my book anyway. It is for *attendance*
after all. Avoiding "handing out" money in person will also reduce
administration for me (or whomever would do the handout).

We can certainly go with 50% too, but I figured it would be easier to just go
with a capped amount to keep things really simple and easy to understand. I
would personally prefer we rather decide sensible amounts and stick to that.

> But, more fundamentally, what is the goal of this funding? Is it to try to
> get more contributors? Is it a way to say thank-you to those who've
> contributed the most? Is it a way to help some people be able to contribute
> to the conference who otherwise couldn't due to financial reasons? Is it
> only for private people paying their own way or are companies eligible who
> are sending their employees? That needs to be decided in order to structure
> the funding appropriately.

It's indeed a fair question and shows I didn't articulate that enough in the
wiki page.

I want us to lower the bar for developers and contributors to attend. We know
that most/many poeple involved in the project come to curl up on spare time,
spending private money and time on it. I'm sure we miss out a few who would be
interested in attending but won't since the family budget won't allow it -
that group probably includes but isn't limited to students. And to some it
might remove the hesitation. Ideally, it helps attendance diversity a tad bit
too.

I want contributors to feel that they are important and are entitled a share
of the donations we receive.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me