curl / Mailing Lists / curl-meet / Single Mail

Re: Funding curl up attendance

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 14:43:32 +0100

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 10:46:19AM +0100, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> I like the proposal and appreciate your skills to find the budged for it. It
> may bring interesting people and talks that would otherwise be limited by the
> traveling costs. On the other hand, it may also attract people that are more
> interested in the funding than in the conference itself.

That's my concern as well. Reimbursing only 50% of out-of-pocket costs would
help with that since people will have to be motivated enough to put up half the
costs themselves. And handing out the reimbursement in person on the last day
of the conference would ensure they actually show up :-)

But, more fundamentally, what is the goal of this funding? Is it to try to get
more contributors? Is it a way to say thank-you to those who've contributed the
most? Is it a way to help some people be able to contribute to the conference
who otherwise couldn't due to financial reasons? Is it only for private people
paying their own way or are companies eligible who are sending their employees?
That needs to be decided in order to structure the funding appropriately.

>>> Dan