curl / Mailing Lists / curl-meet / Single Mail

curl-meet

Re: Call for papers

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 19:24:24 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> It's only about 2 months until the meeting, so I think it's time to make a
> formal request for presentations.

To spice up the silence Dan's call generated, I brought out the results from
our poll (from ~a year ago or so) with a list of imaginary talk titles and
I'll show it below. Sorted by how large share of the respondees that selected
each subject as "interested in listening to if it was presented".

I've also pondered on some additional subjects that we could talk about which
I've added below the list.

Most of these topics are things I personally could talk about, but I am of
course not going to be able to reaonably prepare or deliver more than just a
couple of presentations. We'll get a better meeting if we actually get more
people to talk. Or perhaps we should devote more time for discussions and just
casual hacking/Q&A ?

  69% libcurl internals, learn about the inside to increase your ability to
      debug and work on fixing libcurl

  60% talks on new protocols and upcoming technologies that people plan to
      implement support for in libcurl

  58% libcurl APIs and how to use libcurl to write better applications using
      libcurl

  56% panels/discussions on current libcurl and we're going next

  55% meet the top committers and hear them explain why they work on libcurl

  53% war stories and and memories on how "it all started" and history from the
      curl project

  45% lessons on code style and guidelines for writing a library that runs of
      virtually every modern cpu and OS

  42% the test suite architecture and how to write new and more (lib)curl tests

  40% success stories from other libcurl users telling how they solved problems
      or designed clients

  29% live coding/hacking session working on libcurl issues/apps/things

  27% instructions on how to go about to write your first libcurl-using
      application

  22% a libcurl newbie's guide to how to start contributing to the project

  20% stories and lessons from successful libcurl binding projects and
      developers

Here's some more subjects I've thought about:

  - http2 deep dive (and how it works with libcurl)

  - what's coming beyond http2

  - the status and future of email protocols in libcurl

  - vtls - the internal TLS backend API

  - a curl maintainer's description of the perfect pull request

  - IETF and other relevant orgs for curl hackers