Re: curl, governance, money and the future

From: Daniel Gustafsson via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 23:00:29 +0100

> On 11 Jan 2019, at 17:15, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2019, Christian Schmitz wrote:
>
>>> The main "problem" this solves is handling of money related to the project.
>>
>> Than start a Limited or a non-profit to run CURL and fund it.
>
> That's a lot of work. SFC already *is* a non-profit setup for exactly this purpose.

Having served on the board of a non-profit exactly like the non-SFC alternative
discussed in this thread (which for the record was PostgreSQL Europe), I would
strongly advise against this option for curl. It is simply put an incredible
amount of work, and assuming it would at least partly be staffed with current
recurring contributors it would divert a lot of attention which is currently
spent on the code to paperwork and accounting.

For the current needs of the project, I +1 going with a fiscal sponsor like the
SFC. Should the needs change over time, we can always incorporate a non-profit
and take over responsibility at that point.

cheers ./daniel