Re: How to recover from 'gnutls_handshake() failed: An unexpected TLS packet was received'

From: Juan A. Rubio <jarubio2001_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 10:28:40 +0100

> Have you verified that this isn't a bug fixed already in a later GnuTLS
> version?

I've just done a quick search at
https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/ but have not found much.

By the way, I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, and these are the software versions
(as reported by libcurl):

libcurl/7.58.0 GnuTLS/3.5.18 zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.4 libpsl/0.19.1
(+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.30.0 librtmp/2.3

> If you have a way to reproduce this, please tell us and I we might be able to
> research this case from our ends.

It is reproducible, although it takes a while to get this to show up.
The 'develop' branch of Tizonia
(https://github.com/tizonia/tizonia-openmax-il/tree/develop) displays
this behaviour. Tizonia is a command-line music player that supports
various cloud services. So basically, the scenario I'm dealing with
is:

- Play music from a Google Play Music paid account e.g.:

$ tizonia --gmusic-unlimited-station 'best of queen'

[ after some variable number of songs (10-30) played, the player
stalls at the end of a song and then it will go into a loop with high
cpu usage as it tries to repeatedly play the next song in the
playlist, but it is unable because of the gnutls handshake error ]

This issue might be reproducible with a free play music account too
but have not tried that yet (so don't know for sure). But an
equivalent command for that would be:

$ tizonia --gmusic-artist 'queen'

Tizonia needs to be built from source (develop branch):
- Build instructions: see
https://github.com/tizonia/tizonia-openmax-il/blob/develop/BUILDING.md
- Configuration: see
https://github.com/tizonia/tizonia-openmax-il/tree/develop#configuration

Before going into the trouble of building Tizonia, perhaps the libcurl
debug info might be able to throw some light?. See the attached logs
as well.

Obviously, I'm not discarding this being some sort of bug in my own code!.

Thanks,
Juan