Re: How to recover from 'gnutls_handshake() failed: An unexpected TLS packet was received'

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 15:47:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018, Juan A. Rubio wrote:

> If I attempt to reuse the same easy handle, the ''gnutls_handshake() failed'
> error repeatedly shows up. So I'm wondering would be the right way to
> recover from this situation. Does this require a cleanup of the easy
> session, and create (init) a new one?. Would the 'curl_multi' need to be
> recycled as well?

This sounds like a bug somehow related to or even in GnuTLS. When starting a
new transfer, libcurl will recreate sockets and reinit things the appropriate
ways so I really can't explain how an error situation like that can survive
and affect subsequent attempts.

And since such an error shouldn't be possible to "live on", I can't tell you
how to circumvent it either.

If you have a way to reproduce this, please tell us and I we might be able to
research this case from our ends.

Have you verified that this isn't a bug fixed already in a later GnuTLS
version?