RE: patch release tomorrow

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 21:25:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016, Steve Holme wrote:

> I've already push Bill's mbedTLS NTLM addition and I'm hoping to get
> Sergei's LDAP change pushed this weekend (although I might to step up and
> finish the documentation side off!). Is this enough for a major bump as I
> probably need to quote version numbers in the docs for LDAP?

Is it? I'll admit I haven't really followed the details of the LDAP changes
but I've not seen anything there that isn't just bugfixes. Am I wrong?

> I've also been wondering about this process... I know we have our 8 week
> release cycle but when a patch release eats into this, I would rather reset
> the 8 week cycle so it starts in full from that patch release date

There are several ways we could do it. We don't do patch release out of the
ordinary schedule that often so we haven't made any formal decisions on how to
handle it. This time, I figured we could do it this way since we have so many
bugs to work on anyway so it would be a general benefit to have a "round"
where we have less time for features and more time for bugs. That. and the
fact that I wasn't aware of any major changes knocking on the door longing to
get in.

> I appreciate it means updating the calendar and it means you can't guarantee
> a release on say 22 February 2017, but I would be interested to know what
> others think as it would allow more time to get features in. From a totally
> selfish point of view, as I am struggling to dedicate time to curl at the
> moment, it would certainly help me ;-)

Right, but if you wouldn't manage to reach a mergable state for the change
within this week final, there is only another four weeks until the feature
window opens again and there's another opportunity. I don't think it should be
much of a burden for people as long as we open up for features again soon
enough.

An alternative would of course be to make patch releases in a separate branch
so that we can do feature merges in the branch heading for the next minor
release but I would prefer to avoid such a setup as it would make it more
complicated to test and for us to keep track of.

So, do you or anyone else want another week for adding features until we close
that for the next release?