RE: patch release tomorrow

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 19:01:49 +0100

> On Sat, 6 Aug 2016, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> > I've already push Bill's mbedTLS NTLM addition and I'm hoping to get
> > Sergei's LDAP change pushed this weekend (although I might to step up and
> > finish the documentation side off!). Is this enough for a major bump as I
> > probably need to quote version numbers in the docs for LDAP?
>
> Is it? I'll admit I haven't really followed the details of the LDAP changes
> but I've not seen anything there that isn't just bugfixes. Am I wrong?
I see Sergei has already responded but I would have said that was a new feature.
I also appreciate this is a little subjective but I would have thought adding support for NTLM with mbedTLS is also a new functionality - previously NTLM wasn't supported with mbedTLS so I wouldn't class that as a bug fix.
> > I've also been wondering about this process... I know we have our 8 week
> > release cycle but when a patch release eats into this, I would rather reset
> > the 8 week cycle so it starts in full from that patch release date
>
> There are several ways we could do it. We don't do patch release out of the
> ordinary schedule that often so we haven't made any formal decisions on how to
> handle it. This time, I figured we could do it this way since we have so many
> bugs to work on anyway so it would be a general benefit to have a "round"
> where we have less time for features and more time for bugs. That. and the
> fact that I wasn't aware of any major changes knocking on the door longing to
> get in.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with the patch releases out of the 8 week cycle.
> > I appreciate it means updating the calendar and it means you can't guarantee
> > a release on say 22 February 2017, but I would be interested to know what
> > others think as it would allow more time to get features in. From a totally
> > selfish point of view, as I am struggling to dedicate time to curl at the
> > moment, it would certainly help me ;-)
>
> Right, but if you wouldn't manage to reach a mergable state for the change
> within this week final, there is only another four weeks until the feature
> window opens again and there's another opportunity. I don't think it should be
> much of a burden for people as long as we open up for features again soon
> enough.
It seems to me that, those 4 weeks of testing and bug fixing aren't going to be used as well as they could be. With regards to testing there hasn't been much added since the last weeks release so not a huge amount of stuff to test.
> An alternative would of course be to make patch releases in a separate branch
> so that we can do feature merges in the branch heading for the next minor
> release but I would prefer to avoid such a setup as it would make it more
> complicated to test and for us to keep track of.
Yeah - I would agree with you there I never like the setup, maintenance and management of multiple branch ;-)
> So, do you or anyone else want another week for adding features until we close
> that for the next release?

Please - and it the chance for other features to drop in as well.
Kind Regards
Steve