Re: making github a curl citizen, or curl a better githubber

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 23:31:42 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Patrick Watson wrote:

> Another possible alternative is to make the standard be that people create a
> pull request on github but are still required to send an email to this group
> announcing the pull request, briefly explaining it's purpose, and providing
> a link to it. That way this email list still at least get a notification but
> would be spared from a potential flood of automated messages. However, I can
> foresee confusion on if resulting discussions should occur via email or via
> github.

Right, but that's roughly what we've been doing up until now and it gets
rather tedious since people send pull requests without ever even bothering to
check or ask if we want them like that. That makes us have to repeatedly point
that out to such users - and those users think we're a pain in the rear who
are so weird and high-friction. It is not a good situation and it really
doesn't work.

And after all, low friction and low barriers to contributions is what we want!