RE: making github a curl citizen, or curl a better githubber

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 23:37:16 +0000

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> You all know how I (and some of you) have insisted that people should
> not do pull request on github and instead post them here for review etc.
>
> I'm slowly beginning to realize that I'm fighting an uphill battle that I will lose.

I believe pull requests have their advantages and disadvantages:

* I like them because you don't have to be subscribed to the mailing lists which a) some people may prefer and b) may result in more contributions. However, from a review (or even are we interested in the fix/feature) perspective the mailing lists offers a larger audience IMHO. For example PR 141 was created five days ago and only today did I see it and comment on it - even though I am subscribed (as I've not been performing any curl duties over the last week or so).

* Users are able to view and comment on the changes without having to apply/review a patch file - an advantage (but off list and again to a limited audience)

* It offers an easy way to merge the PR. However, I would prefer it if we don't merge them via Github as I don't believe this facility a) allow comments to be fixed up (to our standards), b) patches to be tweaked or minor coding style fixes to be made without additional commits and c) it also creates a mess in the log in graphical tools such as TortoiseGit - not too sure about in text based UIs (ie from the command line) rather than allowing the commit to be rebased and applied cleanly - in that respect I prefer to download the change as a patch, apply it to my repo, rebase and squash any fixes before pushing.

* Unless I have missed something and go about it a long winded way, there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to download the change as a patch file - no "Download as patch" button. Instead I go to the URL and add ".patch" on the end. I then view the source of the page, save it and change the line endings before applying it to my local repo.

Kind Regards

Steve