Re: Cannot get curllib to work with Visual C++ 11

From: David Chapman <dcchapman_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:44:48 -0800

On 11/25/2014 8:34 AM, Jon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m new to curllib and cannot get the libraries to work with Visual
> C++ v11.0. I downloaded v7.36 (32-bit) a couple of months ago and
> compiled it to a .lib file (note I wasn’t able to create a .dll). When
> I put the .lib file into my library path and called a couple of
> curllib functions the linker complained and could not find these
> functions to execute. I confirmed this by creating dummy functions
> with same name and parameters in my code.
>
> I’m running Windows 7 Home Edition SP1. If possible, could someone
> send me the .lib and .dll files of either the 7.36 build or later
> build? I will download the headers from the site if need be.

How did you compile the .lib? Was it from within Visual Studio, or
using a makefile? How are you linking your application? What are the
error messages?

I use Visual C++ 12.0 and ended up creating my own makefile to build a
.lib, to match the conventions used in the rest of my code base. I
haven't had any problems linking to it. It is possible that the
curl-supplied makefile is out of date; using multiple FOSS libraries in
my code, I have found that Windows build support tends to lag
(especially for any project that uses configure scripts).

--
     David Chapman      dcchapman_at_acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA