Re: SMTP with TLS -> Problems after upgrading from 7.29 to 7.34

From: Kerry Loux <louxkr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 08:45:50 -0500

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Kerry Loux wrote:
>
> > I've done a little more experimenting: 7.33.0 works fine - I'll move
> > ahead using that version for now.
> >
> > It could be that the VFRY requests are causing a red flag to be thrown
> > on the server side.
>
> > I did not see an option to disable the VFRY requests in the
> documentation.
>
> We added support for custom requests to SMTP in 7.34.0 and as such could
> you
> ensure that you are:
>
> a) Not setting CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST
> b) Setting CURLOPT_UPLOAD to 1L?
>
> If this is already the case, could you please post what options you are
> setting?

I was not using CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST, nor was I setting CURLOPT_UPLOAD.
Setting CURLOPT_UPLOAD to 1L seems to have solved the issue of the VRFY
requests, and the output now reports that the mail was successfully sent (<
250 2.0.0 OK ...). The output is very much the same as with earlier
version of libcurl.

I'm not sure if the examples are actively maintained, but it might be a
good idea to add "curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_UPLOAD, 1L);" to the
example here (and perhaps others?):
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/smtp-tls.html

Also, yes I was informed that I stupidly posted my base64 encoded login
information, and I have now changed my password. Thanks for the many
alerts.

Thanks for you help,

Kerry