RE: SMTP with TLS -> Problems after upgrading from 7.29 to 7.34

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 23:09:51 +0000

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, Kerry Loux wrote:

> I've done a little more experimenting:  7.33.0 works fine - I'll move
> ahead using that version for now.
>
> It could be that the VFRY requests are causing a red flag to be thrown
> on the server side.  The output from 7.33.0 looks just like the output
from
> 7.29.0, except that the username is not passed on the same line as AUTH
> LOGIN - no VFRY requests.

Yes the username not being part of the SASL request was changed in v7.30.0
when we added the SASL-IR option. Prior to that, SMTP would always send the
initial response (LOGIN username, NTLM type-1 message, etc...) in the SASL
authentication request even though some servers don't support it. As such
the default was changed to not send the SASL initial response and the option
added for those users that know their email server supports the SASL-IR
feature - gmail is one that does ;-)

> I did not see an option to disable the VFRY requests in the documentation.

We added support for custom requests to SMTP in 7.34.0 and as such could you
ensure that you are:

a) Not setting CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST
b) Setting CURLOPT_UPLOAD to 1L?

If this is already the case, could you please post what options you are
setting?

Kind Regards

Steve