Re: Adding PROPFIND support

From: David Strauss <david_at_davidstrauss.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:45:47 -0700

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> Why would we add support for webdav in libcurl? As far as I can see it, it
> is already perfectly possible to implement webdav by using libcurl.

Absolutely true. We're doing it right now.

> If it isn't, is there something we can do to improve that ability without actually
> doing the webdav parts in libcurl?

My case for it isn't based on whether it's possible to implement
PROPFIND on top of libcurl; it's based on consistency between
protocols libcurl supports. Whether that's important depends on how
much cURL is (1) a library that happens to support multiple URL-based
protocols versus (2) a library that abstracts the differences between
protocols when possible.

If it's (1), then PROPFIND support should not be in cURL for the
reasons you've stated.

If it's (2), then we'd be missing an opportunity to make libcurl-based
clients more portable between the supported protocols. That is, we
could make it possible for libcurl clients to support FTP(S), SFTP,
and WebDAV PROPFIND without any code specific to those protocols. It
might even be possible for consistent listing support to extend to
IMAP, DICT, and other cURL protocols, too.

--
David Strauss