Re: [libcurl 7.24.0] AAAA DNS query with --disable-ipv6

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 15:49:08 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, Jongman Heo wrote:

> I had used libcurl 7.18.2, with following flags;

> I upgrade the libcurl package to 7.24.0, with following flags;

> So, c-ares has been replaced with threaded-resolver. For both, disable-ipv6
> is specified.

That is probably a significant change...

> With 7.18.2, I couldn't see IPv6 DNS query (AAAA). But with 7.24.0, there
> exist AAAA DNS query. Is this expected behavior with 7.24.0 and
> threaded-resolver though --disable-ipv6 is specified?

No. I wouldn't say it is expected but it rather surprises me.

I looked into the code just now and for this case, Curl_ipv4_resolve_r() gets
called internally in the resolver thread and it uses Curl_getaddrinfo_ex() if
configure found getaddrinfo() to exist and be thread-safe. But it then only
asks for PF_INET addresses which implies that IPv6 addresses are not
interesting.

If you can debug this and verify that this is the case then we'd have to
figure out next why the libc function does what it does...

> Should I use CURL_IPRESOLVE_V4 option explicitly ?

Sure you can do that, but in this particular case I'm not sure it makes any
difference as the code already assumes IPv4-only... Did you try and see any
difference?