RE: SMTP connection re-use possible?

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 18:55:26 +0000

Hi Volker,

> > Have you tried disabling SSL and connecting to port 25, letting
> > libcurl perform an AUTH LOGIN or AUTH PLAIN to authenticate?
>
> Yes, it is exactly the same even without SSL. First message is
> accepted. Second try is "502 Unimplemented":

That's good in some respects - I was hoping it wasn't the SSL stuff ;-)

> > You could also try telneting onto mail.gmx.net on the same port
> > and typing in the SMTP commands yourself to see if multiple
> > mails are possible.
>
> This is my manual telnet session. Interestingly, it works using
> telnet. But I can not see the difference. This is my complete
> telnet session (anonymized):

Interesting... The only difference I noticed, and I may have read it
incorrectly, was what appeared to be an extra CRLF before the second MAIL
FROM.

It looked like you sent "CRLF.CRLF" at the end of the first message, gmx.net
replied with "250 2.6.0 Message accepted {mp024}CRLF" and then you continued
with "CRLFMAIL FROM:alice.master_at_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.deCRLF", etc...

If that is the case can you try without the extra CRLF?

Cheers

Steve