Re: Generating DEF files for the MINGW cross build

From: Johnny Luong <johnny_at_trustcommerce.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:55:17 -0800

On 11/08/2012 04:48 AM, Guenter wrote:
> Hi,
> Am 08.11.2012 01:46, schrieb Johnny Luong:
>> I was wondering if it would be possible to generate the DEF files as
>> part of the cross build on the windows side in the future.
> yes. I've just created a build including a libcurl.def:
> http://svwe10.itex.at/curl/dist/
> can you please verify if that works for ya?
> Is it sufficient to only include this .def file with the devel package,
> or do you think it makes sense to include it with all binary packages?
>
> Gün.

Hi Guenter,

I am able to compile and link of the sample programs to the lib file
generated from the DEF file for 32-bit. So it works for me.

As far as the other packages go, I think it works as long as you stick
to the curl or ssh methods (I didn't see a DEF file for the libssh2 but
assuming it would be there in the future, this is conceptually true);
if someone needs the others, then I think they will need to look into
it further.

Ideally, the binary blob should include the ".lib" of the libcurl
binary package and the ".def" file in the development package. I
don't know of a comparable tool in the MINGW toolchain but I think the
lib executable is included in the C++ compiler.

It would be nice if there was a build that didn't need openssl but
used SSPI (this would probably mean removing SSH support) but I didn't
quite expect it to work at all to be honest.

Best,
Johnny