Re: Questions on building libcurl for Android

From: Ram <ram.nw1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:37:22 -0700

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net> wrote:

> Hi Ram,
> Am 28.08.2012 22:28, schrieb Ram:
>
> I couldn't locate curl-config.h on the autobuild site (though I did see
>> log files saying that the file had been created).
>> Can you please tell me where I can find curl-config.h for Android (ARM)
>>
> yes, I thought you fetch a buildlog which always displays this file, so
> all you need is to copy and paste it from there ...

Thanks for the tip, I scrolled down the build log and did find a bunch of
definitions under a line which said "testcurl: display lib/curl_config.h"
I'll pick this up and (and at some later time) I'll try to create a new
Android.mk file and try to use the conventional NDK toolchain process to
build curllib.

> well, on the other side I'm sure that I did read somwhere that for the SDK
> (not the NDK) cygwin is required, and I'm asking me how the compiler can
> work with those static makefiles but doesnt work with configure-created
> ones - the path issue should always be same, or?

The conventional NDK toolchain process works in cygwin because the NDK
build system does all the necessary work (like converting all cygwin paths
to windows paths etc.)
The NDK build process also works on a regular Windows command prompt (and
this time, no path translations are necessary for the compiler)

However, the compiler cannot work with cygwin paths. Google documentation
(<ndk>/docs/STANDALONE-TOOLCHAIN.HTML ) says that they have no plans to
support cygwin or MSys for the standalone compiler process.
Unfortunately, my limited knowledge of cygwin and the configure script
doesn't tell me how long it might take to make the standalone compiler work
with cygwin paths (and fix any other cygwin/configure/compiler issues that
might have made Google say that they won't support cygwin with the
standalone compiler process)

Anyway, if I find some mins for this dureing next days I will try to kick
> on a build with cygwin to see how far this goes ...

Thanks again for all the time you've spent on this topic.
If you do find the time to run a build with cygwin, It will be really great
to know what you find and to know if/how a Windows machine can be used to
build curllib.a for Android (with the cross-compiler)

Thanks Ram