Re: Windows SSPI/Schannel winbuild makefiles

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:45:47 +0200

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Marc Hoersken <info_at_marc-hoersken.de> wrote:

> I changed the subject of this mail in order to break out of the 50+
> messages thread with this.

Thank you.

> 2012/6/13 Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>:
>>
>> Fixed now. define USE_WINSSL to build with both SSPI and schannel support.
>
> Thanks, but that change wasn't enough to actually make it possible to
> build with Schannel support using winbuild/Makefile.vc.

Good you detected that.

> I have attached a patch that makes it possible again and tries to make
> USE_WINSSL consistent with the other defines in those makefiles.

And even better that you provide a fix for it.

> Please take a look at the patch, especially it's long description
> including the reasoning for this patch.

Reading patch...

> I know that this patch uses USE_WINSSL, even though the naming is
> still discussed, but since it's not possible to build libcurl+Schannel
> without these changes, I think they should be put into the repository
> for now.

I have no problem with the fixes it introduces to the 'winbuild' system.

Although I would like to comment just a couple of things relative to
the description of the patch

1) Even being true that a patch fixes some one's incomplete or
problematic code, as a general rule we don't mention whose code or
whatever the patch fixes. We try to be as aseptic as possible and only
mention what it fixes and if we deem necessary we mention the hash of
the problematic commit.

Can you imagine what would happen if I blamed in each fix or
adjustment I make the name of the person whose code is being fixed? I
don't even want to imagine it.

> The patch does also include some comments on the general define naming
> strategy I would like to recommend for the Windows makefiles.

2) If you feel so, you could bring that on the list and comment with
others. I'm not saying I'm against what you propose there for the
'winbuild' system. I'm only saying that the comment will most likely
be missed in the future.

Once I've said those things. I ask you to tell me if you want this
patch pushed as-is or if you want to provide an updated one. Either
way I have no problem.

--
-=[Yang]=-