Re: Problem with libgcrypt maybe because of curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 13:46:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 11 May 2012, Paul Salters wrote:

> I have a problem in my application that uses the xmlrpc-c lib
> (http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/). That application is multi-threaded. Most
> of the time it runes fine but sometimes i get the following error:
> "ath.c:193: _gcry_ath_mutex_lock: Assertion '*lock == ((ath_mutex_t) 0)'
> failed". After i did some research I found out that "ath.c" is from libgrypt
> which is used by gnutls with is used by libcurl (correct?).

Older versions of GnuTLS used gcrypt, yes. Newer versions use nettle
instead...

> Also i found out that there where some issues with this in the past (see
> mailing list around 2006). My question is of course can you help me to
> identify the problem? And hopefully you can help me to fix the problem.

Are you using the gcrypt mutex callbaks? If you are, then I think you suffer
from a problem that modern versions of these libraries don't show.

> libgcrypt11 (1.4.5-2)
> libgnutls-dev (2.8.6-1+squeeze2)
> libcurl4-gnutls-dev (7.21.0-2.1+squeeze2)

While being a bit of work, I think it would be a good idea if you built and
installed recent versions of all components in a separate place and re-run
your tests with those just to see if the problem is already fixed or not.