Re: More strict version numbering

From: Vincent Torri <vincent.torri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 08:17:04 +0200

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Vincent Torri wrote:
>
> and x is bumped if ABI/API is changed
>>

> Not necessarily. We don't have to match libtool's or the SONAME versioning
> rules.
>
> We add things to the API and ABI all the time without bumping x. We've even
> removed things from the API and ABI in the past without bumping x in the
> version number and I don't think it was a major deal to people. It was of
> course reflected in the SONAME version.
>
> To me, the x is more about API version and the bump of that is saved for a
> future API cleanup. We've actually been using x == 7 since libcurl was
> introduced back in 2001...

actually, i was not precise enough. For me :

 * if API or ABI is broken (like : remove of API, the signature of a
function has changed, exposed structure changed so that ABI is broken) x
should be bumped and y and z should be set to 0.
 * if an API is added, y should be bumped and z should be set to 0
 * if bugs are fixed, z should be bumped.

But you do what you want, of course (and of course, you don't have to match
libtool versioning).

regards

Vincent Torri