Re: More strict version numbering

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 23:46:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Vincent Torri wrote:

> and x is bumped if ABI/API is changed

Not necessarily. We don't have to match libtool's or the SONAME versioning
rules.

We add things to the API and ABI all the time without bumping x. We've even
removed things from the API and ABI in the past without bumping x in the
version number and I don't think it was a major deal to people. It was of
course reflected in the SONAME version.

To me, the x is more about API version and the bump of that is saved for a
future API cleanup. We've actually been using x == 7 since libcurl was
introduced back in 2001...