curl gives 502 after 5 minutes; IE does not; and using IE first - then curl works... (downloading intranet report that is large)

From: Ferraro, Drew (Hidden) <DFerraro_at_hidden.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:24:38 -0400

Hi all,

I'm using CURL in a perl script to download a report in PDF format using the OBIEE GOURL.

I use curl to:

* Request login page

* Request report in pdf

* Logout

This was working awesome, until our database (and hence) our reports got larger. Nothing crazy large - 14 mgs let's say (PDF)..

I can use my 'purl' script to download smaller reports - but bigger ones will hang at the third bulletpoint, for 5 mintes, and then give a HTTP 502 once the counter hits...

Even odder - If I make the request manually via IE, it works fine, even on the larger reports
To make things even more odd - if I run my 'purl' script for that same report, after using IE manually, it works!

It's almost like curl is working fine for small reports - but for big ones, it chokes and dies (unless IE or the server caches it first)..

Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone please advise? I'm stuck!!!

Thanks much!!

Drew Ferraro

Disclaimer link. To see it, click the link below, or copy and paste it into your browser's address line. http://www.hidden.com/emaildisclaimer.htm