Re: Support of the Web Socket protocol

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:13:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Alexandre Morgaut wrote:

> This is my first post to this list ;-)

Welcome to our merry corner of the world!

> I looked over libcurl supported protocols and the roadmap and I didn't found
> any reference about the Web Socket protocol (created from HTML5 WebSockets)

Right, we don't really have any set roadmap for the future. We have a list of
random ideas in the docs/TODO file but none of us are particularly guided by
that. We're open for discussions around what to add and what to work on etc so
I wholeheartedly welcome this thread here!

I personally am familiar with WebSockets and the work going on in the IETF
with it - I'm susbcribed to the list and I track what's happening there.

> It is being more and more implemented by browsers so I wanted to know if we
> could hope to use it via libcurl

I'm not sure I see how it would be used or supported by libcurl. libcurl
provides application layer protocols, that are typically on top of the
transport layer: TCP or UDP. libcurl transfers data specified by URLs, back
and forth.

WebSockets is also on top of TCP, but it is a "mere" transport layer. It is
only made to transport data of whatever kind. It's generic! What would libcurl
do with it? I'm not killing the idea, I just don't see what libcurl would do
with it!