Support of the Web Socket protocol

From: Alexandre Morgaut <Alexandre.Morgaut_at_4d.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:31:36 +0200

Hi,

This is my first post to this list ;-)

I looked over libcurl supported protocols and the roadmap and I didn't found any reference about the Web Socket protocol (created from HTML5 WebSockets)

For those who doesn't know it, it is used as an Upgrade of HTTP

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol

(generated from this source: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-socket-protocol/ )

I know the specification is still a draft but it looks like it is actually more stable (and, by the way, some other supported specifications are still drafts on IETF)

Wikipedia shows an interesting list of existing implementations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Sockets

It is being more and more implemented by browsers so I wanted to know if we could hope to use it via libcurl

Here the WebSocket client API description:

- W3C Working Draft: http://www.w3.org/TR/websockets/
- W3C Editor's Draft: http://dev.w3.org/html5/websockets/

Is there already some work made in this direction ?

Thanks

--
Alexandre Morgaut
Product Manager - 4D