Call for participation: transfer speed tests!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:08:27 +0200 (CEST)

Hello friends,

Georg Lippitsch reported that he could reach twice the download performance
with libcurl simply by upping CURL_MAX_WRITE_SIZE to 40960.

As this is bound to be dependent on the TCP stack, I would be very interested
to get to hear from others if changing CURL_MAX_WRITE_SIZE (to whatever value
really) will change the transfer speed in any significant way.

I figure you just run a test with libcurl compiled as before, then build a new
version with increased CURL_MAX_WRITE_SIZE and re-run the same test. Do you
spot any difference?

Either way (change or no change) I'm interested in hearing the results. What
protocol, what OS/version, what buffer sizes and what the speed differences
were!

As Goerg's test was for a 2Mbit connection, I figure it is worth doing test
both against something that "slow" but also against localhost or similar where
the speeds should be much higher.

It would even be good to confirm Georg's test results on Windows XP but also
to check it on other Windows versions to see if they're similar or not.