Re: Build using CMake

From: Sukender <suky0001_at_free.fr>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:14:56 +0200

Le Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:48:05 +0200, Gary Maxwell <gmaxwell_at_casabi.com> a écrit:

> Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
>>
>> Gary Maxwell wrote:
>>
>> > build scripts for libcurl, that's fine. I just don't want such
>> efforts
>> > to become a distraction for the mainline libcurl developers who are
>> > trying to make the actual library better. After all, I can't
> remember
>> > customer ever complimenting me on how nice my build environment was.
>>
>> Talking about better/new building scripts and build systems is not any
>> _distraction_ for other tasks.
>
> So far, this single thread has generated about 70 messages and counting.
> Where I come from, *that* is a distraction.
>
>> Everyone is free to talk about and work on other problems in the same
>> time.
>>
>> Bottom line; we shouldn't discourage anyone from working on the
> project
>> just because we think other tasks are more important for _us_.
>>

> If you had not snipped the first part of my first sentence at the top,
> you would have seen that I agree with you!
>
> Interestingly enough, this topic has come up every three years: in 2003
> (http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-03/0092.html), in 2006
> (http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2006-09/0116.html), and now. Which begs
> the questions:
> - Was anything produced as an outcome of the earlier
> discussions?
> - Has anything significantly changed in the universe since the
> earlier discussions?
> - Should anyone expect a different outcome this time?
>
> But by all means, discuss away! ;-)
>
> GaryM at Casabi

[THIS IS A REPOST because the 1st one didn't seem to make its way - Sorry if you got twice teh message]

Well, when I was saying "all platforms", I was thinking of "most used platforms" :) Of course your example is reveleant, and I think you're right.

About the fact this is a distraction, I can't really answer... (and I'm really new to this mailing list!).

And about the fact the topic came in 2003, 2006 and 2009, well... maybe this is beacause nobody succeeded! I surely won't pretend being the hero saving the world (well, libcurl), but I just hope I'll be able to do something useful from tetest job and my job. Having a CMake script that (almost) works will certainly help some people. And maybe if we get a 80% working thing, then people will help doing the 20 latest (and hardest) percent.
(Please note my work was stalled for a week. I guess I'll be working on it tomorrow or the day after).

Sukender