RE: Build using CMake

From: Gary Maxwell <gmaxwell_at_casabi.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:48:05 -0700

Piotr Dobrogost wrote:

> Gary Maxwell wrote:
>
> > build scripts for libcurl, that's fine. I just don't want such
> efforts
> > to become a distraction for the mainline libcurl developers who are
> > trying to make the actual library better. After all, I can't
remember
> > customer ever complimenting me on how nice my build environment was.
>
> Talking about better/new building scripts and build systems is not any
> _distraction_ for other tasks.

So far, this single thread has generated about 70 messages and counting.
Where I come from, *that* is a distraction.

> Everyone is free to talk about and work on other problems in the same
> time.
>
> Bottom line; we shouldn't discourage anyone from working on the
project
> just because we think other tasks are more important for _us_.

If you had not snipped the first part of my first sentence at the top,
you would have seen that I agree with you!

Interestingly enough, this topic has come up every three years: in 2003
(http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-03/0092.html), in 2006
(http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2006-09/0116.html), and now. Which begs
the questions:
        - Was anything produced as an outcome of the earlier
discussions?
        - Has anything significantly changed in the universe since the
earlier discussions?
        - Should anyone expect a different outcome this time?

But by all means, discuss away! ;-)

GaryM at Casabi