Re: SSL Support Other than OpenSSL?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:04:30 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:

>> I would rather have it test for each different lib, one by one and pick the
>> first one that works.
>
> Nice idea but I think
> - it shouldn't be the default behavior
> - users should have more control over this process

Well, it is kind of the default already since configure already checks for
OpenSSL without asking _and_ users have "more control" since they can specify
basically everything through various options and variables.

> To resolve these two problems I would suggest adding something like
> --try-with-openssl, --try-with-gnutls, --try-with-nss

That's what the --with-gnutls and --with-nss already do, and I'm just
suggesting we add a --with-openssl to the mix (or rather, I'm saying I
wouldn't mind such an approach - I don't have any plans on working on it
myself).

> for the feature you proposed and I would change current --with-ssl to
> --with-openssl.

I don't. To me, backwards compatibility and "working the same as the previous
versions" is a very dear concept that I go very far to maintain. Thus
--with-ssl should remain and it should pritoritize openssl even with my
suggested changes, to remain working the exact same way for the existing users
who use --with-ssl and thus have OpenSSL installed.