Re: cURL bug -- Segmentation Fault when timeout is 1 second

From: Mohun Biswas <m_biswas_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 10:41:28 -0500

Daniel Marschall wrote:

>>> Yes, because it is impossible to install a newer version than Debian
>>> allow.
>>> My co-partner which owns the server, said, it is impossible to upgrade
>>> because of the security and because many processes need curl, so it
>>> cannot
>>> be reinstalled.
>>
>> No, it isn't impossible. And besides, you could install a totally
>> separate one
>> that only your app uses and nothing else.
>
> TELL me how to do it without risk the server. I already asked for it,
> but you don't explain it.

This has nothing to do with libcurl and I don't think Daniel or anyone
else owes you an explanation of how to work with libraries in general.
However, I will give you the short version. Download the latest libcurl
and build it according to instructions in your personal development
space. Pass the configure script the following flags, in addition to
others you may want: "--enable-static --disable-shared" (they may not
both be needed but this is what I do and it works). Then build libcurl,
which will result in a libcurl.a being built. Link with that; the safest
way is to specify the full path to it in your link line. Now you will
have the latest libcurl linked in with your app and it will have
precisely no effect on anyone else. The server admin will neither know
nor need to know that you're using it.

There are other ways: it's possible to use your own version dynamically
linked, for instance. But the above will work and will put you on the
same page as Daniel S and the others here.

Again, this is not libcurl specific; it's general Unix/Linux development
stuff and you should not expect people here to teach it. There are a
number of well-written resources explaining how to work with libraries
in Linux.

MB