Re: license question

From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely_at_tana.it>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:09:41 +0100

I wrote:

> To keep a list of the copyright holders/licenses makes a product easier
> to manage.

Actually, I didn't realize that such a list already exists in
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/libs.html

We also have the inverse list: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/companies.html

>>> Nope. Although you should rather ask a lawyer about legal issues.
>
> However, a lawyer is not required free software.

Typo, I meant "for (using|copying|distribute)" free software...

>> Along the same lines, there are other open source software modules
>> included in libcurl. A brief scan reveals the following at a minimum:
>> inet_ntop.c, inet_pton.c: Internet Software Consortium
>> krb4.c, krb5.c, security.c: Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan (with
>> further enhancements by Daniel)
>> md5.c: RSA Data Security, Inc.

With my obsolete (3.02) version of sed I get

$ find . -name '*.c' |\
  xargs sed -n '/Copyright/s/^.*[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][-, ]*//gp' |\
  sort | uniq
. All
Damien Miller <djm_at_openbsd.org>
Daniel Stenberg
Daniel Stenberg, <daniel_at_haxx.se>, et al.
David Odin (aka DindinX) for MandrakeSoft */
Dominick Meglio
Internet Software Consortium.
Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan
Regents of the University of California.
The OpenEvidence Project. All rights reserved.
The Regents of the University of California.
by Daniel Stenberg et al
by Dominick Meglio
by Internet Software Consortium.
by Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC")
by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

>> Although all of these can be freely used, it would be keeping in
>> the spirit (and letter) of these licenses to include their attribution
>> and copyright notices in the COPYING file and on the online license
>> page (http://curl.haxx.se/docs/copyright.html).

Since "pushed" contributions have donated formal copyright ownership
according to http://curl.haxx.se/docs/contribute.html#License , it is
probably sufficient to include in the copyright page a list of the
"pulled" ones (e.g. manually rearranging the output above), as well as
  advising that each added library deserves its own mention, in order
to let commercial users fulfill more easily any legal obligation they
feel appropriate.