Re: [ANN] libproxy 0.2

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:18:48 -0800

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 08:01:35PM -0500, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> Idealy, curl should be able to exhibit the correct behavior by
> default, rather than a "--make-it-work-correctly" option.

The problem is that in a worst-case scenario, it could take on the order of
minutes to try to autodetect a proxy, even in situations where no proxy
is even needed. That's a pretty big backwards compatibility issue.

> Depending on libproxy means you commit to depending on a >=35K core,
> not on the plugins. Users/admins/distros can then make the call for
> expanded functionality. In any case, libcurl has to do nothing, all
> such extra functionality is free.

That's not so bad, then, but I still think it should be off by default.

The other libcurl issue to consider is cross-platform compatibility. If
libcurl rips out its environment variable handling code and hands that
responsibility to libproxy, that means auto proxy support is no longer
available on any platform on which libproxy is not available.

>>> Dan