Re: [ANN] libproxy 0.2

From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 20:01:35 -0500

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> I agree. But an argument could be made to add an --autodetect-proxy option
> to the curl command-line.

Idealy, curl should be able to exhibit the correct behavior by
default, rather than a "--make-it-work-correctly" option.

> Although, making a JavaScript interpreter
> a prerequisite turns curl into a pretty heavy-weight app.

This is not how libproxy works. libproxy has no dependencies of its
own. Currently its size is 35K, but we are looking to shrink it, not
grow it. All functionality is added via plugins at runtime. So for
instance, if you would like to do WPAD/PAC, you'll need to install a
plugin that provides a javascript interpreter (currently mozjs;
webkit, etc soon to come). So for the basic use case "have basic
proxy configuration", libproxy fits the bill. For the case of "I want
it to use GNOME/KDE and Mozilla", libproxy fits the bill.

Depending on libproxy means you commit to depending on a >=35K core,
not on the plugins. Users/admins/distros can then make the call for
expanded functionality. In any case, libcurl has to do nothing, all
such extra functionality is free.

Nathaniel