Using new Visual C++ 2008 and Windows SDK

From: Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_loskot.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 07:19:46 +0100

Hi,

Yesterday, I've been trying to build libcurl on Windows XP SP2
but using new Visual C++ 2008 (9.0) and Windows SDK (formerly known as
Platform SDK). Everything works well, but I found a few problems on my
way toward success.

I've described my adventures on my blog:

http://mateusz.loskot.net/2007/12/18/building-libcurl-with-visual-c-2008/

http://mateusz.loskot.net/2007/12/18/wsapoll-hacks-for-libcurl/

Summarizing:

1. WSAPoll is "available" on all Windows versions supported by the new
Windows SDK, but it's only usable/callable on Windows Vista or later.

2. The new Windows SDK by default targets to Windows Vista, regardless
of what host system is used.

3. There seems to be a need for option to specify target version of
Windows (Vista and pre-Vista) when using Windows SDK, ie. in makefiles.

I hope my notes are helpful for someone.

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net