Re: Using new Visual C++ 2008 and Windows SDK

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:24:39 +0100

2007/12/18, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> 1. WSAPoll is "available" on all Windows versions supported by the new
> Windows SDK, but it's only usable/callable on Windows Vista or later.

No. WSAPoll is only available at compile time if _WIN32_WINNT is
defined and (_WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0600). And it is only available at run
time if you are running it on Windows Vista or later.

> 2. The new Windows SDK by default targets to Windows Vista, regardless
> of what host system is used.

If this is true then they (MS) has to iron out that bug. Traditionally
when _WIN32_WINNT wasn't defined the default and documented behaviour
of MSVC was to build for the lowest Windows Version that the compiler
supported, regardless of what Windows version host was used.

Windows version build target has always depended on _WIN32_WINNT.
Define it to the appropriate value for the target you're building.

> 3. There seems to be a need for option to specify target version of
> Windows (Vista and pre-Vista) when using Windows SDK, ie. in makefiles.

I disagree with the need for a Vista and pre-Vista switch, the matter
is not related to Vista. It is related with the intended Windows
version target (aka _WIN32_WINNT).

Anyway if you feel that makefiles can be improved, go ahead and provide a patch

--
-=[Yang]=-