RE: General direction, ftp vs html file upload and/or downloads

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 00:03:07 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Max L. Eidswick wrote:

>> In libcurl's end there really not much difference, but I think you'll face
>> less problems with HTTP simply due to the dual-connection nature of FTP.
>
> OK, thanks for the input. Do you have a feeling if either is more efficient
> and/or faster than the other?

FTP has command/response protocol part for the connection setup which involves
a lot of round-trips that HTTP doesn't, so for a random (small) upload, HTTP
can be significanly faster - given a high-latency server or similar.

But given somewhat larger upload I would assume that the speed differences are
neglible.

Again, this is from the client's point of view. The servers that receive the
uploads may behave very differently...

> Also, is there a 'better' file transfer size' that HTTP can deal with more
> efficiently? I can make the chunk files any size.

No, uploads are just streams so there's no preferred file size. It depends on
your network and general situation I'd say. I mean if you think you'll
experience many broken transfers or similar...