RE: General direction, ftp vs html file upload and/or downloads

From: Max L. Eidswick <max_at_eidswick.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:56:23 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: curl-library-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se [mailto:curl-library-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se] On Behalf Of Alan Wolfe
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:17 PM
To: libcurl development
Subject: Re: General direction, ftp vs html file upload and/or downloads

>HTML uploads can be a strain on the server since it has to jump
through extra hoops (the web server) to get onto the server.

This is a factor, our current web mesh is 20 providers and 100 individual communications sites spread based on server performance.
The customer loading is distributed based on server response and resource availability. Once a file operation has begun, it remains
on that node (website/URL instance) until the whole file is uploaded, currently in 1MB chunks. The chunks are reassembled on the
host and distributed to the appropriate customer storage vault from there.

>FTP is nice and light except it's unencrypted so people can sniff
username/passwords as well as the data you are uploading and
downloading.

Our data is raw, encrypted, and compressed (or pre-compressed) so that is not a big concern.

Are there any disadvantages to HTTP other than server loading?

>If security is important and you want to be able to handle more
traffic, you might look into SFTP to get the benefits of both security
and power.