RE: CVS test files format

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:52:12 +0200

> Also note that some sections support mode="text" which tells the test
suite to ignore any end-of-line differences for certain test sections.
The presence of that attribute implies a binary CVS file format.

???

In fact, I think this attribute exists to say: "there may be
differences, but ignore them". If all files were binary, the endline
character would always be checked out the same way regardless of the
client OS, so this attribute would not be needed !

Regarding the current test file format specs, files should all be tagged
as binary. Happily, the ViewCVS accepts to handle binary files as text
(this would not be the case with ViewVC for SVN), so we can do it
without any drawbacks.

As a consequence, I think we should tag all test files as binary if we
do not plan to change version control software and/or test file format
in a near future.